IIT Kanpur will soon release the GATE Chemical Engineering Syllabus for GATE Chemical Engineering 2023. The GATE Chemical Engineering 2023 syllabus will guide the development of the exam questions. Students can strategically prepare for the GATE Chemical Engineering exam if you know the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus well. Students can do well in the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) by following the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus 2023. The GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus is thoroughly covered in this post.
It is important to know the GATE syllabus for Chemical Engineering before taking the exam. There are nine main subject fields in the GATE Chemical Engineering 2023 syllabus. GATE Aspirants can go through the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus here to get a complete overview of these nine subject fields, which are listed below:
1. Engineering Mathematics
2. Process Calculations and Thermodynamics
3. Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations
4. Heat Transfer
5. Mass Transfer
6. Chemical Reaction Engineering
7. Instrumentation and Process Control
8. Plant Design and Economics
9. Chemical Technology
For details of each segment of the GATE Chemical Engineering 2023 syllabus, please refer to the article below.
1. Engineering Mathematics: Calculus, probability, and numerical methods are just some of the topics covered in the Engineering Mathematics section of the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus 2023. Let's go through the detailed syllabus mentioned below. Linear Algebra: Matrix algebra, Systems of linear equations, Eigen values and eigenvectors. Calculus: Functions of single variable, Limit, continuity and differentiability, Taylor series, Mean value theorems, Evaluation of definite and improper integrals, Partial derivatives, Total derivative, Maxima and minima, Gradient, Divergence and Curl, Vector identities, Directional derivatives, Line, Surface and Volume integrals, Stokes, Gauss and Green’s theorems. Differential equations: First order equations (linear and nonlinear), Higher order linear differential equations with constant coefficients, Cauchy’s and Euler’s equations, Initial and boundary value problems, Laplace transforms, Solutions of one dimensional heat and wave equations and Laplace equation. Complex variables: Complex number, polar form of complex number, triangle inequality. Probability and Statistics: Definitions of probability and sampling theorems, Conditional probability, Mean, median, mode and standard deviation, Random variables, Poisson, Normal and Binomial distributions, Linear regression analysis. Numerical Methods: Numerical solutions of linear and non-linear algebraic equations. Integration by trapezoidal and Simpson’s rule. Single and multi-step methods for numerical solution of differential equations.
2. Process Calculations and Thermodynamics: A variety of important topics, including phase equilibria, molar properties, and laws of entropy, amongst others are covered under the Process Calculations and Thermodynamics part of the GATE syllabus for Chemical Engineering. Let us go over each of the topics discussed in this section in greater depth. Steady and unsteady state mass and energy balances including multiphase, multi-component, reacting and non-reacting systems. Use of tie components; recycle, bypass and purge calculations; Gibb’s phase rule and degree of freedom analysis. First and Second laws of thermodynamics. Applications of first law to close and open systems. Second law and Entropy. Thermodynamic properties of pure substances: Equation of State and residual properties, properties of mixtures: partial molar properties, fugacity, excess properties and activity coefficients; phase equilibria: predicting VLE of systems; chemical reaction equilibrium.
3. Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations: The course material for the Fluid Mechanics and Mechanical Operations section of the GATE Chemical Engineering exam includes topics such as dimensional analysis, flow meters, and turbulent flow, amongst other things. Let us now go into further details about the topics. Fluid statics, surface tension, Newtonian and non-Newtonian fluids, transport properties, shell balances including differential form of Bernoulli equation and energy balance, equation of continuity, equation of motion, equation of mechanical energy, Macroscopic friction factors, dimensional analysis and similitude, flow through pipeline systems, velocity profiles, flow meters, pumps and compressors, elementary boundary layer theory, flow past immersed bodies including packed and fluidized beds, Turbulent flow: fluctuating velocity, universal velocity profile and pressure drop. Particle size and shape, particle size distribution, size reduction and classification of solid particles; free and hindered settling; centrifuge and cyclones; thickening and classification, filtration, agitation and mixing; conveying of solids.
4. Heat Transfer: Evaporators, heat exchangers, condensation, and other similar processes are some of the topics covered in the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus 2023 for the Heat Transfer section. Let us go through all the topics in the syllabus mentioned in the paragraph below. Equation of energy, steady and unsteady heat conduction, convection and radiation, thermal boundary layer and heat transfer coefficients, boiling, condensation and evaporation; types of heat exchangers and evaporators and their process calculations; design of double pipe, shell and tube heat exchangers, and single and multiple effect evaporators.
5. Mass Transfer: For the Mass Transfer section of the GATE Chemical Engineering exam in 2023, the syllabus includes topics such as molecular diffusions, momentum, and heat and mass transfer, etc. Let's go into further detail about the topic. Fick’s laws, molecular diffusion in fluids, mass transfer coefficients, film, penetration and surface renewal theories; momentum, heat and mass transfer analogies; stage-wise and continuous contacting and stage efficiencies; HTU & NTU concepts; design and operation of equipment for distillation, absorption, leaching, liquid-liquid extraction, drying, humidification, dehumidification and adsorption, membrane separations(micro-filtration, ultra-filtration, nano-filtration and reverse osmosis).
6. Chemical Reaction Engineering: Diffusion effects, the kinetics of the heterogeneous catalytic reaction, non-ideal reactors, and other topics are included in the Chemical Reaction section of the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus 2023. To have a detailed look on all the topics involved, let's go through the paragraph below. Theories of reaction rates; kinetics of homogeneous reactions, interpretation of kinetic data, single and multiple reactions in ideal reactors, kinetics of enzyme reactions (Michaelis-Menten and Monod models), non-ideal reactors; residence time distribution, single parameter model; non-isothermal reactors; kinetics of heterogeneous catalytic reactions; diffusion effects in catalysis; rate and performance equations for catalyst deactivation.
7. Instrumentation and Process Control: The section on Instrumentation and Process Control that is included in the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus for 2023 includes topics such as process reaction curves, control valves, and transducer dynamics, among other things. Let's go through the detailed syllabus mentioned below. Measurement of process variables; sensors and transducers; P&ID equipment symbols; process modeling and linearization, transfer functions and dynamic responses of various systems, systems with inverse response, process reaction curve, controller modes (P, PI, and PID); control valves; transducer dynamics; analysis of closed loop systems including stability, frequency response, controller tuning, cascade and feed forward control.
8. Plant Design and Economics: There are many different topics covered in the Plant Design and Economics section of the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus 2023. Some examples of these topics include payback period, discounted cash flow, and cost indices. Let's go into further detail about the following topics: Principles of process economics and cost estimation including depreciation and total annualized cost, cost indices, rate of return, payback period, discounted cash flow, optimization in process design and sizing of chemical engineering equipments such as heat exchangers and multistage contactors.
9. Chemical Technology: Petrochemicals, fertilizers, and natural products are just some of the topics that are covered in the Chemical Technology section of the GATE Chemical Engineering syllabus 2023. To have a detailed look on all the topics involved, let's go through the paragraph below. Inorganic chemical industries (sulfuric acid, phosphoric acid, chlor-alkali industry), fertilizers (Ammonia, Urea, SSP and TSP); natural products industries (Pulp and Paper, Sugar, Oil, and Fats); petroleum refining and petrochemicals; polymerization industries (polyethylene, polypropylene, PVC and polyester synthetic fibers).